Getting your Deposit Back 馃彔

Sunday 05-06-2022 - 12:00

Your student union is now offering housing advice! There鈥檚 been a huge gap in services available for Salford Students with housing dilemmas and your SU is ready to step in and offer independent, free and confidential advice for all your housing woes. Want to know more about how your SU can help you? Click HERE!


To launch this incredible service we鈥檝e put together some blog posts with housing advice to answer any FAQ鈥檚 you may have around housing.


Today, let鈥檚 look at getting our deposit back

Is your tenancy is coming to an end soon? You will be looking forward to getting your deposit back. Here鈥檚 some advice on making sure you get back your full deposit back, and also where to get support if you need it.

Get your clean Tok on and make sure you leave everything in sparkling condition so that you get your deposit back:

路 Take meter readings again and let the suppliers know that it鈥檚 the last day of your tenancy.

路 Check your inventory and take any necessary photos.

路 Remember, it鈥檚 up to you to replace light bulbs and fluorescent tubes.

Clean and tidy the property or you may be billed for the cleaning

路 Take all your belongings with you, or make sure any unwanted items are disposed of or donated  to charity.

路 Don鈥檛 stay longer than you should and remember to return your keys on time.


Deposit Returns


Your deposit should be protected in an independent deposit protection scheme and it should be given back to you at the end of your contract. If your landlord does want to make a deduction from your deposit, they need to inform you in writing within 28 days of the end of tenancy and they need to give you a detailed breakdown of what they are deducting and why you are liable to pay for it.


If you don鈥檛 agree with what they want to charge you, speak to your landlord to see if you can reach an agreement about how much should be deducted. If that doesn鈥檛 work, you can raise a dispute with your deposit protection scheme and they may offer an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service.


Any questions about the above? Or having trouble getting your deposit back? Your SU is here for YOU. Get in touch with housing advice here and let鈥檚 get this sorted!

Related Tags :

Housing, Student Housing, Housing Advice, Advice Centre,

More University of Salford Students' Union Articles



More Articles...