EMERGE 3RS (Reduce, Reuse and Recycle) is a sustainability-focused charity which seeks to benefit both the natural environment and local communities, with its main focus on reducing and, ultimately, eliminating waste. Our community work is aimed at helping people who are disadvantaged and require multiple areas of support.
Ensuring food quality and safety by checking ‘use by’ and ‘best before’ dates.
Sorting and unpacking deliveries, categorising and recording food quantities.
Assisting our Community Food Member partners with picking and packing their scheduled food order collections.
Maintaining high standards of health and safety and food hygiene during sessions.
Helping with cleaning and other tasks identified by warehouse staff.
· Physical fitness, in order to be able to carry out tasks, including lifting and loading.
· Reading and numeracy skills.
· Good verbal communication skills, to assist customers and provide the best customer service.
· Ability to work well as part of a team and complete tasks independently according to instruction.
· A positive, friendly and enthusiastic attitude towards working with diverse communities.
· Availability to commit to an agreed session/day.
· Adaptability – managing surplus food can be unpredictable, so day-to-day tasks can vary.
This will be given at the induction part of the first ‘Taster’ session, as well as continuous on-the-job training, and e-learning.
For volunteers who have basic IT skills and attention to detail, there is opportunity for progression in the role to become involved in our admin processes. Volunteers also receive training on the use of our food database, which we use to process orders, take card payments and prepare bills.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM THE VOLUNTEER ROLE
· Reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses – up to £6 for travel and up to £3 for lunch, upon completion of a 4 hour shift.
· Experience of working in a team.
· Work experience to add to and improve your CV.
· A reference after 2 months.
· Knowledge of the importance and benefits of addressing food surplus and recycling.
You will be required to complete introductory sessions before you are confirmed in the role.
GETTING TO US
We are just a 15 minute bus ride from Manchester Piccadilly, with our brand new base, Maynard House, located on new Smithfield Market, which is only a few yards off a main arterial route into the city, Ashton Old Road.
The market site can be easily reached by a number of bus services, with the 219 being the most frequent.
There is a bus stop immediately opposite the main entrance to the market.
Minimum commitment level: Once a week
Start Date: 12-09-2022
Start Time: 09:00 AM
End Time: 05:00 PM