Transport Policy

Download as a PDF

The University is committed to complying with its duties under Health and Safety Act and other relevant legislation with regard to the use of vehicles at work, and recognises that there are specific risks to employees who are driving on behalf of the University and to students, visitors and members of the public present on its campuses. The University has introduced this policy with the objective of identifying and minimising those risks and to actively encourage the safe use of vehicles. As such the University of Salford Students’ Union will also adopt this policy in relation to both its staff, officers and members.

For the purpose of this document, “driving at work” means driving a vehicle on Union business except for journeys between home and the normal place of work.


Chief Executive and Senior Managers

The CEO is responsible for:

  • Appointing a member(s) of staff responsible for the transport issues (Local Transport Administrator), as appropriate to the size of the Union and its divisions
  • Ensuring appropriate local arrangements for implementing the University Transport Policy exist within the Union
  • Ensuring that all staff in the Union are familiar with the local arrangements
  • Ensuring that the local transport policy is complied with

The Local Transport Administrator

The Local Transport Administrator will be appointed by the CEO to administer the local transport policy for the Union. The Local Transport Administrator is responsible for developing and implementing local arrangements to ensure effective implementation of the Transport Policy within the Union / divisions of it.

In particular the Local Transport Administrator must ensure that:

  • All vehicles are appropriate for the task for which they are intended.
  • There is a suitable risk assessment on the choice and use of a vehicle for a particular task. This could be a generic assessment for standard driving tasks (e.g. normal road journey), but must be specific for non standard tasks (e.g. rough terrain).
  • Ensure that where lone working place a suitable and sufficient risk assessment and appropriate precautions are in place.

Transport Administrator must ensure:

  • Drivers using their own vehicle have produced their current driving licence and business class insurance certificate before use is approved and this is recorded.
  • A current list of approved drivers who have a current driving licence and who are insured to drive on Union business is maintained and published. Authorised and Non Authorised Drivers are notified accordingly.
  • Prior to claiming any mileage claims all students, volunteers, staff and Sabbatical Officers must lodge with the Union copies of MOT and insurance documents and sign to confirm that their vehicle is correctly maintained. Full time staff must also have work use cover on their insurance.
  • Drivers using their own vehicle have produced their current driving licence a social, domestic and pleasure class insurance certificate (3rd party is sufficient) before use is approved and this is recorded.
  • That students using their own vehicle are advised to check with their own insurance company to ensure that their insurance arrangements are sufficient and would cover them in the event of an accident.
  • Each driver’s current driving licence and certificate of social, commuting, domestic and pleasure class insurance must be inspected every 12 months (from 1st October).

For drivers of hired vehicles the Transport Administrator must ensure:

  • Hired or leased vehicles are only obtained from approved companies.
  • The driver of the hired vehicle has a current driving licence. Where the car is hired from an approved supplier appropriate insurance is included.
  • For driving vans the driver has been trained in the use of the vehicle or the driver can demonstrate significant experience in using such vehicles.
  • For driving hired mini-buses the driver has been trained. Possession of a driving licence showing eligibility to drive minibuses will not be sufficient.
  • There is a published list of drivers who have been trained to drive minibuses or vans.

For drivers of Union owned vehicles the Transport Administrator must ensure:

  • All Union owned vehicles are in a safe condition and are fully maintained in line with the manufacturer’s service schedule.
  • All Union owned vehicles are appropriately insured, have a current MOT certificate and Road Fund Licence.
  • All Union owned vehicles, records of servicing, insurance, MOT certificates and Road Fund licences are kept for seven years.
  • Records of Driving Licences are maintained and updated at 12 monthly intervals.
  • Drivers are trained to drive in the special conditions
  • Where appropriate, drivers are trained to drive heavy and specialist vehicles.
  • Records of Driver training are retained for seven years.
  • Any accidents and injuries are reported in accordance with the University’s procedure for recording and reporting accidents.

Duties of Drivers

  • All staff and students / volunteer who drive vehicles in connection with Union business must familiarise themselves with this policy and the local transport arrangements for the Union.
  • If you are required to drive for work purposes or union related activities, you are required to ensure that your car is safe and roadworthy. It is your legal responsibility to ensure you have a valid driving licence, current business insurance and an MOT for cars over 3 years old. If you fail to do so and drive for work purposes or union related activities, you will be held responsible. For this reason, you will be asked to provide proof of the above at regular intervals to your Transport Coordinator.
  • Drivers must attend relevant training sessions required by their Local Transport Coordinator in accordance with this policy.
  • Drivers MUST inform their Local Transport Administrator of any changes to licence conditions, any endorsements or any health problems which may affect their ability to drive. (‘Fitness’ to drive also includes being free from the after effects of consuming intoxicating substances, even where this has taken place on the previous day)