Academic appeals - what you need to know!

Monday 19-06-2017 - 09:00
Article image   advice centre logo

Thinking of appealing your results?

You can always appeal your end of year results by the Board of Examiners. However, you will need to do it quickly as you only have 14 days from the date on your results letter to submit an appeal. In those 14 days you will need to check the University’s regulations, collect your evidence and complete an appeal form.

Get to know the rules and regulations

Have a read through the appeals procedure before you start the process:

You will need to state the grounds for your appeal when completing the stage 1 appeal form. Do make sure you know what your reasons are and whether they fit the regulations. For example, you cannot appeal academic judgement or if you think the result is unfair; or that you are 0.5% away from obtaining a higher class of degree.

It is worth spending time completing all sections of the form and focusing on the strong areas of your argument. For example, if you failed to submit a personal mitigating circumstances (PMC) form at the relevant time of your assessment – explain clearly the reason why.

Remember to include all evidence with your form which backs up any point(s) you are making. If this is not possible, the regulations do give you the opportunity to submit this evidence later but it must be within 28 days from the date on the Examiners Board letter. Tick the appropriate box on the form (see section 5) which indicates this is what you intend to do.

If your appeal is successful

In most cases, a successful appeal means you can resubmit/resit the assignment/exam (and depending on the circumstances, the mark will be uncapped/capped) or repeat the year.

You usually have to wait several weeks for the outcome of your appeal. In the meantime, you should carry on studying as usual.

If you remain unsatisfied with the decision

You can ask for a review of the Appeal Panel decision if you fit the review grounds.

You will need to complete the stage 2 appeal form located at

This has to be submitted within 14 days after you have been notified of the outcome of your appeal.

Once all internal procedures are completed you might be entitled to take an appeal to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education –

Get advice from the SU Advice Centre

The SU advice centre can help you through the whole process so that you are not alone! We can help you determine the grounds you are appealing on, how to draft/ structure your appeal and make sure you fully aware of the process and how it works.

If you do decide to submit an appeal and would like an adviser in the Student Union Advice Centre to check the draft of your request, then please book an appointment through the info point staff on 0161 351 5400. Full details can be found here


Union News

Related Tags :

academic appeals, Advice Centre, advice, appeals,

More University of Salford Students' Union Articles



More Articles...