Relationship Problems

Rape and Sexual Abuse

The Advice Centre offers free and confidential support to students who have experienced rape, sexual abuse or harassment and would like someone to talk to. The Advice Centre offers services that can range from listening and providing help and advice to signposting you to other support services and the police.

It is important to keep in mind that if you were a victim of rape, sexual abuse or harassment, it is not your fault.

You can also contact Manchester Rape Crisis by phone on 0161 273 4500. The service is open Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm and Wednesdays and Thursdays 6pm to 9pm.  If you cannot get through just leave a message and someone will get back to you as soon as they can.

The Independent Sexual Violence Advisor or ISVA provides a confidential advice and support service for women who have experienced sexual violence, including childhood sexual abuse, sexual assault, or rape. The ISVA works independently, which means she can provide you with impartial advice and information. The ISVA can help you to decide what support you need. She can provide information about the full range of services and options available to you, so that you can make your own decisions and feel in control.

You can find an ISVA for your area on the Survivors Trust website.

Harassment and Bullying

Harassment can take many forms such as unwelcome physical contact, unwelcome verbal conduct, unwelcome written or visual communication or non-verbal conduct such as making abusive or offensive gestures.

Bullying is offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour which intentionally or unintentionally undermines, humiliates, denigrates or injures the recipient.

The University takes all cases of bullying, harassment and hate crime extremely seriously and is committed to fostering an environment in which students can study and live free from victimisation, intimidation or aggression.

If you feel like you are being harassed or bullied you can make a complaint to the University. The Advice Centre can help you with this as well as give you the support that you need. Just email or make an appointment with us at our Info Point or by phoning 0161 351 5400.

Alternatively, external sources of advice and support on harassment, bullying and victimisation include:

  • Gender Trust - the largest registered Charity helping adults throughout the UK who are transsexual, gender dysphoric and transgender. Visit their website or phone 01527 894838.
  • Nightline - a confidential, anonymous listening and information service. Visit their website or phone them using the number on the back of your student ID card.
  • Samaritans - an organisation which provides confidential non-judgmental emotional support. Visit their website or phone them on 116 123.
  • Stonewall - a charitable organisation working towards the advancement of the rights of lesbians, gay men and bisexuals. Visit their website or phone their info line on 08000 502020.
  • Women’s Aid - a national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children. Visit their website or phone them on 0800 2000247.